Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Day I Didn't Run...

We all have those days...the one where according to your runningbible training plan you should be running but you don't.  It can mess with your mental focus.  But like I've mentioned in previous posts you have to be willing to bend and meet the training plan.  However even the best of people can have life get in the way.  For me training for this ultra marathon started in July.  I had to build my base mileage up so I could begin the 16 week plan, so really this has been about a 20 week process.  I met the plan with enthusiasm and was successful getting in my runs.  One blip was hip pain that came with the increased weekly mileage.  But I was vigilant and sought care from an ortho, just to make sure there wasn't anything serious going on and then I started with PT, having Graston work on my IT bands and deep muscle massage and on my TFL (a muscle in the hip).  It worked after only a few short sessions my body became more flexible and my hip pain subsided.
VT 50- 0600 Conditioning Relay Teams! Looking pretty good at 6am!
On Sept 28th I went into the Vermont 50 mile relay with just enough confidence and trepidation that a newbie ultra runner should have.  As I explained in my last post I took a dive on the trail around mile 15.  I finished my 20 mile leg, running on my ankle.  When I got home and explained to my husband what happened I pulled up my pant leg to show him my ankle, even I was in shock at how swollen it was.  It hurt, but honestly I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, so I kind of shook it off.
1 day after the fall...this was the beauty on my ankle.
My longest run of my training was slated for Oct 4th, 32 miles.  Mentally I had been looking forward to this run for a month.  It's that mix of terrified excitement, where you think to yourself...Can I really do this?  It's terrifying to think of it in terms of miles, 32 miles is far, but when you've hit that long run on your training plan, you look back and say "come on race day, I've got this".  For me that day didn't come on Oct 4th.  For the week after the race I didn't run, not at all...I didn't do spinning or the elliptical, I declined going to walks with friends all in hopes of healing faster.  I laid low.  I spent a lot of time with a bag of frozen peas, watched some chick flicks and rested only being on it when "mom duty" called.  I thought maybe, just maybe if I totally give it time off It would be better by Oct 4th.
This was a week later I had my PT tape it and it seemed like it was getting better.
 Well Oct 4th came and went.  I talked with my running coach, and she said the long run could be pushed out to Oct 11th but after that your cutting it too close to race day to recover for a successful 50 mile race.  Oct 11th I could deal with.  I set my sights on that weekend.  Surly it would be better by then right?  Well I hate to say it but here we are two weeks and a half weeks out I'm still NOT, I repeat NOT doing anything and actually it is now re-swollen and the last two days I have had shooting pains up the side of my ankle.  

Not being active is horrible.  Mentally running is my drug of choice (hahaha!)  It keeps me sane.  Not running has been a test of my mental sanity.  Depression has started to set in.  I thought maybe just maybe I could downgrade to the marathon instead of the 50 miler.  I can see now that, those thoughts are probably wishful thinking.  I had my pity party this weekend.  Reading all the blogs of my beloved running friends who ran Chicago, Hartford CT and those running Columbus this coming weekend.  I had 1 full marathon and a 1/2 marathon planned into my training for this ultra.  I absolutely love races.  The atmosphere has so much positive energy that it's palpable. Race day is what keeps me going through crazy training days. Knowing that the best part is yet to come gets me through.  I was 6 weeks out when I fell.  10 weeks of training lost.  It sucks.  But I have decided to turn my attention to things within my control.  More of that to come.

Have you ever suffered an injury that took you out of your race?  How did you deal with it?  How did you adjust your exercise and what did you focus on? Inquiring minds want to know!




No comments :

Post a Comment