Thursday, July 23, 2015

Throw Back Thursday! Napa Valley Marathon 11'

I've never actually participated in a TBT.  I see people post stuff on Facebook or Instagram, but honestly I just never saw the appeal.  I have been tagged in a few TBT photos and lets just say those are usually photos I'd like to forget!  But I thought I would share with you an exciting thing that happened after my first marathon finish in March of 2011.  I was contacted by Sarah Bowen Shea, the author of :Run Like A Mother and they wanted to feature me on their blog.  I was totally elated and of coarse said yes!  They sent me a series of questions to answer  and just a few weeks later I was featured!!  It made my first marathon experience that much more exciting!  Here's the link to the original blog post interview....

Follow this Mother...

FOLLOW THIS MOTHER!

We want her arms: Deana Boucher running her first 26.2, earlier this month
Deana Boucher, a mom of three in Woodbury, Connecticut, would agree with my mother, who often says, "No matter how many pairs of shoes you have, you never have the right pair." Deana owns up to her shoe obsession, but since taking up running  two years ago and running the Napa Valley Marathon this month, the pair that matter most to her are her running kicks. See what this newbie blogger has to say.
Best recent run: Although my marathon finish is on a whole other level of accomplishment, I think my best most recent run was when I completed my first 24-miler in training. It was the day before my 40th birthday, and the weather was windy with snow showers. I was terrified to go alone. I never in my life thought I could run that far. Finishing was one of the most empowering moments. I now feel anything is possible.  
I run because: Three years ago I had been told by a trainer that I would never be a runner because of a poor stride; he said I’d risk injury.
Deana ("Dean-a") in her first race, the NJ Half
 Instead, I signed up for my first half marathon, asking a new trainer for help with my stride. We worked on form, and I completed my first half five months later! Running now is a daily part of my mommy-sanity. Don’t ever let anyone tell you, you cannot do something!
No dampened enthusiasm: Marathon morning, it was raining when I got up. Ugh: I’m not one of those people that trains for “any weather condition”; instead, I cross my fingers and pray for good weather. It was a steady downpour through mile 12 and showers to the finish. Whenever I felt disappointment creeping in, I repeated my favorite motto: “You take what the race day gives you.”
Only one pair: I am a self-proclaimed shoe addict. I have more than 50 pairs of heels and 8 different running sneakers. I love shoes because they instantly change my mood: I might feel sexy in sling-backs, sassy in peep-toes, carefree in ballet flats. But if I could only have one pair, I’d have to pick my running sneakers.  Although pretty, flirty shoes make me happy, running makes me feel strong, sane, and sexy. I’ll take any shoe that can deliver those results!
Now what? I have two half marathons planned for this spring, and I'm awaiting the lottery decision for New York City Marathon in the fall. If NYC is not in my future, I may do the Hartford or Philadelphia marathon in the fall. A Boston qualifier marathon result is definitely in my sights: I plan on being a lifetime running mom.
Can’t run without: My iPod with cool, “not kid friendly” tunes is my guilty pleasure. I’m addicted to my Garmin—I’m a pace freak. Lululemon running gloves and a hand-held water bottle with Propel water. The gloves are the perfect fabric weight for chilly mornings and have a key holder. I am not a huge water fan so Propel makes drinking it more palatable. High maintenance, maybe…loves running, yes!
Follow this mother at: www.momswithsole.blogspot.com
Deana and the fam in FLA on vaca 

So there you have it my first official TBT!  Happy Thursday Running Peeps!

No comments :

Post a Comment